Scotland’s heritage belongs to everyone and the Cluny Hill Dig is a great opportunity to bring together people from Moray and beyond with a passion for its history. We welcome volunteers of (almost) all ages and all walks of life, whether you are entirely new to archaeology or a ‘grizzled’ old hand at it.
In order to ensure that the dig runs as smoothly and as safely as possible for everyone, we request the following from all participants:
- Participants should be at least 16 years of age.
- All participants will need to take part in a health and safety briefing before they start work. For the safety of all project participants, volunteers MUST pay attention to any instructions given by supervisors while on site.
- Participants should be able to dedicate at least 2 full days (or 4 half days) to the dig. Work starts at 9:00am and end at 5:00pm, every day except Sunday June 25th. There will be an additional opportunity to help with guided tours during the Piping at Forres Event on Saturday June 24th.
- We will seek to be accommodating when planning the work schedule, but flexibility from volunteers is appreciated. If you contact us, either by using the form on the Contact page or by email, please tell us what days you are available to work or alternatively what days you want to work – they may not always be the same!
- What should you bring? A 4” pointing trowel if you have one (don’t worry if you don’t), full wet weather gear (waterproof trousers and Jacket), warm clothing, good working boots (not wellies and not trainers), sunscreen and hat (if you’re an optimist) and insect repellent (if you’re a realist).
- We will provide water and light refreshments but volunteers should bring their own lunches.